HCP Login

Vitamin

Home Forums Cardio-vascular Disease Vitamin

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Dr. Mitchell Ghen 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Dr. Renee Hunter
    Participant

Can you explain causes for elevated B12 values without supplementation?
    What is the average dosing and frequency to increase extremely low vitamin D levels?

B 12 is extracted from food especially me fish and Dairy. In diseases of the bone marrow such as chronic myleogenous leukemia or other Myleoproliferative disorders there may be an unusual increase without supplementation in the blood also. When there is an elevation of Haptocorrin which occurs in liver problems such as hepatitis and cirrhosis the elevation will occur without additional supplemental quantities of B 12; and noticeable amounts into the bloodstream as well. So seeing elevations of B 12 in the bloodstream without concurrent use of supplementation of some sort of B 12 would be of interest clinically.

As far as the Dosing for vitamin D pretty much the rule of thumb is that you require or Need 5,000 to 8000 units to maintain a blood level, and 10,000 or more units to raise a blood level. I have found clinically this takes more than four months especially if someone has a transport receptor defect. I also Simultaneously give injections of IM vitamin D3 as well. If it’s lower than 30 at least 150,000 to 200,000 I use weekly for a minimum of six weeks will be helpful while you’re replacing him with 10 to 15,000 units PO. You might also remember to give some Vit. K too so that there is no exogenous calcifications in the artery due to the unopposed vitamin D and calcium.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.